All good things must come to an end, and we’ve got no choice but to settle back in our everyday duties and routines. I don’t know how it looks like in your case, but in mine, this moment of transition from the state of full relaxation to the state of full readiness to work is a critical moment, which is often accompanied by all possible psychosomatic reactions of my body, from chronic stomachaches to continuous tiredness with the feeling of constant nervousness. Of course, as the time goes by this state of uneasiness gradually disappears and I simply get used to the new routine.
P.S. If this situation continues for a longer period of time, you should think over this problem and decide whether the job you do is something you really should do.
Theories are theories, and life is life …
How am I going to deal with all this stress after coming back to work from my summer holidays break? Here are a few ways, which I hope will work out for me!
1.Make use of summer energy, which is still somewhere there in you!
Yes, I know … for some of you, this summer energy is just a blur and there is nothing left to grieve for … it’s similar in my case, so don’t really worry about that too much, as with little effort you can get your energy back! How am I going to do that? You should focus on the things you managed to achieve during your holidays and on the positive influence they had on you as a person. Now you probably just grab your head and start thinking ‘And what did I really succeed in during holidays?’ I’ll calm you down … I also didn’t gain too much, but looking at these little, tiny, almost Lilliput like achievements, which for some people are just bread and butter, and in your case they demand a lot of work from you … oh well … not everyone can be a born star, and if you are not one, you need to handle it somehow … so be proud of yourself … in small amounts it won’t really spoil you.
I’m happy about a few things, which wouldn’t probably mean anything for other people, but in my case they made me feel a little bit better. Namely:
- I managed to write some interesting articles and interviews … actually, I’ve got the impression that no one really reads them, but I hope that one day someone will come to a conclusion that my passion is worth something.
- Despite the fact that sometimes I lack faith in myself and I don’t really think that many people visit my blog, I was truly happy to hear a few positive words related to the things I write. These opinions came from people who didn’t really have to express them.
- I was invited to Good Morning Television, and to my greatest regret I didn’t really make any use of it, but the fact itself made me feel really happy … ok, fine, maybe not at once … and in this case you shouldn’t really pattern on me … first of all my irrational fear made me feel bad, and when I got to know that I didn’t need to take part in the show, I finally started being happy about the whole situation … so don’t make the same mistakes as me, just take the bull by the horns!
- I spent my free time in a great company, travelling here and there, I also had some time to relax in my hometown … it was really awesome!
- I managed to increase my physical activity from running to going for long walks, which allowed me to improve my physical condition and keep a good figure.
- I found and amazing second-hand shop, which in combination with my favourite market makes a perfect combo … you even don’t know how proud you can feel of yourself when your friends love your clothes and they think that you’ve spent a little fortune on your new wardrobe!
- I read a few fascinating books … ok, ok … quite a lot of titles, which I wouldn’t have a chance to read while going to work … so I’ll dream of my free time, in which I’ll grab some other great novels.
I bet it’s not everything I gained, but you know … when you hit 30 you can start noticing some deficits … so my memory isn’t as brilliant as it used to be, although, personally, I know some more hopeless cases than mine! Of course, there were also a few disappointments and unrealized plans, but it means that something else is waiting for us, we just need to be patient!
2.Focus on yourself!
Work is an important aspect of our lives … at least some people say so … and of course, it’s true, but outside your work there’s also some life, which unfortunately passes by very quickly. Try not to neglect yourself and do something only for yourself! I’m a little bit like a narcissist. I started focusing more on the way I look and I do it only for myself. When I look better, I feel better … it’s probably a bit shallow, but new clothes make me feel like going out to people more often, and even if it’s not the best reason, it’s always a good motivation not to spend the whole days at home. That’s also true that when I go to work, I like to feel elegant, as it gives me some extra confidence and energy to face new challenges.
If you’re already beautiful enough and you don’t lack anything in this sphere, you should find a new hobby, mine is running a blog, which keeps motivating me to continuous exercising something I used to call the brain in the past! Someone could probably fault me for being an old spinster, who has got lots of time for writing … that’s not really the truth, I was thinking of leaving this activity a few times during the past week, as I don’t really have time for that anymore. However, it’s a kind of break from my everyday work and some light in the darkness on the way to my self-realization.
And if none of the above appeals to you, think of the things which make you really happy and try to do them more often!
3.Don’t worry … tomorrow will be a new day!
The worst thing you could possibly do would be bringing your work problems home … I still don’t know how not to do that, but I’m going to work it out … you should keep your home life separate from you work life. Definitely. Full stop. Close the door to your work behind you and open it only when it’s the right time for that. Not a minute before, not a minute after. We work to live, and we don’t live only to work. When you learn that you’ll be calmer, both at home and at work, which will make you more efficient in each of the earlier mentioned spheres.
4.Remember that pretty soon … in a year … there will be holidays too!
In my case real holidays will be in a year time, but everyone who works outside the education field can plan the date of this sweet pleasure more freely. I’m already counting down the days till the time when I can be myself again, the best version of myself … not so extremely busy, not so much stressed … just happy and enjoying every free moment!
Meanwhile, the first week of my work has already passed and I’m slowly trying to change the settings of my biological clock, from slow motion mode to action mode. I hope it will be the next fruitful year during which I’ll get not only some new work experiences, but I’ll also find some time for myself and I’ll have a chance to try out myself in the fields, which are really important to me. Remember … having a balanced life, in which you devote lots of time to work, but even more to your private life, family, friends and passions will make you a happier person who will become an inspiration for others not only at work but also outside it!
See you around!